CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 8, 2011

Marble Nails

This is a discovery that I have been BEYOND excited about!! I've been sharing it with everybody I come in contact with!


Aren't those THE coolest nails you have ever seen!! How fun are they?? And the best part is...it's not difficult to do! These pictures are of the my very first attempt at this method of nail painting.

Wanna know how it's done??

Pick out your favorite colors of polish. I used ICE brand...one of the cheaper brands at  Wally World.


Next, find a small container (the smaller in circumference, the better). Fill it with warm water. Cold water does strange things to the nail polish. This tupperware is officially my "nail" dish. As you can tell, it's already stained with polish. :)


Now you are going to put droplets of your nail polish in the water. You do need to work fairly fast, because the polish dries...



 Alternate your colors...a tip: don't wait for the previous color to spread. Just put them right on top of each other and they will spread as you go. 
 Also remember...it's ok if the polish gets a little messed up...you are going to swirl it up anyway and the mess up may turn out to be something beautiful. 


I worked too slow because I was taking pictures. :) My polish dried before I could swirl it. 

Here is what it looks like after I get all my polish on the water.
 Then you will take a toothpick and drag it through the polish. Once you find the design you like, you will dip your finger!
 I lay my finger horizontal to the water and place it on top of the pattern I want. After I've gotten the pattern on my nail, I will extend my finger so it goes totally under the water. Then, take the toothpick and gather up the remaining polish from around your finger, so that when you pull out of the water you don't get any extras clinging on to the nail. Repeat the process for every nail or two. 
 And there you have it!! :) Ok, ok...I know they look horrible what with the polish all over my fingers. I decided to show you that it can be a messy process. I did tape the bottom half of my fingers. I have heard that you can use vaseline on the skin to prevent the polish from sticking.
 But, imagine tomorrow...after I have scrubbed the polish off my skin!! Didn't they turn out neat??




I'm sad that you can't see all the detail in these pictures. So I guess you just need go do it and see for yourself!! :) One more tip that has helped me...if you paint your nails white before you do all the dipping, the colors will POP more! :) 

Happy marble-ing! :)

I found this tutorial here.




****UPDATE****


Here are my nails after I got the polish cleaned off my skin. (I find it very easy to take the polish off when I do my nails at night, then wash the polish off in the shower the next morning).




0 comments:

Post a Comment